The Still Earth

During my flight lesson today I scanned the surrounding sky for other traffic, saw that the sky was very clear and looked to see how far I could see. I was above Hampton, NH and I could see the mountains from Mount Monadnock to Mount Washington. To the southwest the sun was setting in spectacular oranges and pinks, and the tops of the mountains reflected the magnificence of the sunset in their snows. For me, at that moment, all stood still and there was not a sound, all there was was the beauty of the scenery surrounding me. I absorbed it all and was at peace. It was only a short moment, but I will never forget that moment for as long as I live.

I was later told that the ground-level sunset was jaw-dropping. What I saw could not be expressed in words.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Wow. Moments like that are just wonderful. I've had one in my life so far. Lying on cold grass in a giant field in July, on a clear night in the country, staring at the stars, with no full moon or city lights interrupting the view of the Milky Way...