You Can't Always Get What You Want

But You Might Get What Others Need

This Fall I will be teaching Physical Science, a course that some capable teachers refuse to teach because of the population that gets placed in the class; it tends to be loaded toward the behaviorally and cognitively troubled children. Being one with the highest seniority in the Science Department, I had hoped that I would be assigned classes that were more intellectually rather than behaviorally challenging, but, contrary to the promise of the Principal, that did not happen. Consequently my disappointment lead me to procrastinate all summer in preparing for the course. Classes start next week.

This past week I spent organizing materials, both electronic and paper, and realized that I will have no trouble with the material for the course. It's quite amazing the variety of material I have accumulated, and I continue to accumulate because of my LOVE OF LEARNING and INTENSE CURIOSITY.

Students love me. Most, anyway. My students have told me that I'm random, but my friends say that what children see as random is just a result of my high intelligence and fast processing speed. I just think there is an amazing amount of WONDER in the world and I am trying to capture as much as possible. I get visibly excited over ideas. Students see this and I hope that it shows them that it is OK to find wonder, ask questions, get curious about HOW DID THAT HAPPEN.

Physical science will be fun, rigorous, and relevant. It has goals based in high school chemistry and physics state standards. It is lab-based and uses available technology for publishing. Readings and questions will be pulled from current publications and news. I am confident that it is a great course.

Why am I discontented that I have been assigned this course then? I am perfectly capable of teaching it. BUT I fall in love with my students and they take advantage of this. I stress over each and every one of them, trying to meet their needs. And these children need something other than standard academic.

I wanted something more scholarly. The school needed someone to handle the hard-to-handle students.
It's all good.


No comments: